Monday, March 19, 2012

Rum Raisin Rice Pudding



There are now two things I love from Ireland - Boyzone (yes, the boyband...stop shaking your head!) and this super-awesome rum raisin rice pudding I discovered on the St. Patrick's Day menu suggested by Food Network. What's even better about this rice pudding? It's by Ina Garten. That means automatic inclusion in my book of favorites.



Since we just passed St. Paddy's Day, I decided to partake in some Irish edible goodies with a side of Boyzone for a mini Irish weekend. You're not allowed to judge. Or else, I'll throw a Ronan Keating doll at you. Not that I own one. But, I will carve one out of a potato for said task. That'll make it an authentic Irish doll. Ha! *cough* Really bad joke.

I must tell you about my history with Boyzone though, since they were one of my first few celebrity crushes (not counting this Indian actor who I told my mom I wanted to hug when I was 8 or 9 years old). I don't like any of their recent songs but, I still love the albums they released in the late 90s and early 2000s because I spent days and nights obsessing over them. Listening to them now brings back memories from my teen years and I can't help but laugh. My brother would go round the bend when I used to listen to them since he hated boybands and Pop in general. He'd make fun of them all the time and say mean things. You know how I've got my revenge? A lot of people say HIS 3-month old son looks like ME when I was a baby. Mwahahaha But, obviously this is good news for my nephew since he's inherited my good looks. ;)


So, for my Irish weekend, it made sense to have them croon for me in the background while I made this finger-licking rice pudding. The aroma that wafts through the kitchen right from the time you add the milk+cream to the cooking rice will make even my brother dance to Boyzone. 


I made a few substitutions to the recipe since yours truly forgot she didn't have eggs and half & half but, was too lazy to make a grocery run. I don't think my substitutions affected the taste though since it still was yummy as hell. And having grown up with a mum who made rice pudding (the Indian kind which is very similar to this), I know this was just fine. Here are my substitutions:
  1. For the egg, I used a mixture of 1 tablespoon corn flour mixed in 3 tablespoons of water - It made sense to me since I'm most certain the egg was a thickening agent. Just make sure you cook the pudding a little longer after you add the corn flour in water since it needs time to cook.
  2. For the half & half, I used 1/3rd portion heavy cream and 2/3rd portion milk. 
  3. Also, in the future I would reduce the salt from 1/2 to 1/4 teaspoon

This pudding went very well with Boyzone. And I'm sure it goes perfectly with anything. It would be even more splendid if I could share a bowl with Ronan. I'm also willing to bet you won't be able to stop indulging in this creamy goodness!


Rum Raisin Rice Pudding (an Ina Garten recipe)

Ingredients and instructions:

  • 3/4 cup raisins
  • 2 tablespoons dark rum
  • 3/4 cup white basmati rice
  • 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
  • 5 cups half-and-half, divided
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • 1 extra-large egg, beaten
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract

In a small bowl, combine the raisins and rum. Set aside.

Combine the rice and salt with 1 1/2 cups water in a medium heavy-bottomed stainless steel saucepan. Bring it to a boil, stir once, and simmer, covered, on the lowest heat for 8 to 9 minutes, until most of the water is absorbed. (If your stove is very hot, pull the pan halfway off the burner.)

Stir in 4 cups of half-and-half and sugar and bring to a boil. Simmer uncovered for 25 minutes, until the rice is very soft. Stir often, particularly toward the end. Slowly stir in the beaten egg and continue to cook for 1 minute. Off the heat, add the remaining cup of half-and-half, the vanilla, and the raisins with any remaining rum. Stir well. Pour into a bowl, and place a piece of plastic wrap directly on top of the pudding to prevent a skin from forming. Serve warm or chilled.

20 comments:

  1. Hey Beetle! I have some blog awards waiting for you back on my page. Click and you shall see
    http://masalaart.wordpress.com/2012/03/19/with-love-from-me-to-you-blog-awards-en-masse/

    ReplyDelete
  2. So, I have no idea who Boyzone is. And I've been up all night due a HUGE rainstorm and I'm not in the mood or frame of mind to goodle right now.

    But, I have a feeling I'd feel lots better if I had a bowl of this rice pudding. Because I love rice pudding. In a way that my friend Amrita loves Boyzone...whoever they are.

    Great pictures and recipe once again, doll!

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOVE LOVE LOVE rice pudding! And adding rum was a fantastic idea I say..

    ReplyDelete
  4. no judgement, i love boyzone. i have loved them since high school.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I do enjoy rum raisin ice cream, so there is no doubt that I would enjoy this! Very creative rice pudding-yum! Your pictures do look amazing. Ha-boy bands, I am sure we all had a fav growing up-never listened to boyzone though!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I do enjoy rum raisin ice cream, so there is no doubt that I would enjoy this! Very creative rice pudding-yum! Your pictures do look amazing. Ha-boy bands, I am sure we all had a fav growing up-never listened to boyzone though!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are so creative and inventive. This is a great recipe and the photos are beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful pictures! I love Boyzone too~~~ =)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am actually not a big rice pudding fan..but with rum raisins..I am sure I would love it :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. i always love rice pudding! yours looks so delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a lovely lovely gourmet renditon of age old payesh/kheer and good ole rice pud. Must say, the rum in this makes me one happy camper :)Your substitutions are perfect too & so are your pics.

    chow! DEVAKI @ weavethousandflavors

    ReplyDelete
  12. This sounds amazing. I love a really good rice pudding. Yours looks wonderful. I hope you have a great day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  13. This rice pudding looks totally delicious! I love it - so rich and creamy :D
    I was also wondering if your email subscriptions were working because I never receive yours :S

    Cheers
    Choc Chip Uru
    http://gobakeyourself.wordpress.com/

    ReplyDelete
  14. I went a step further... I actually sang Boyzone songs for school culturals and competitions. On stage. With a thousand students watching. True story. I think you should tell this to your brother if you want to be really mean to him in future!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Beetle,
    Rum in rice pudding,very fancy. love to try it.
    I have some awards for you.Click on my name and you will see.

    ReplyDelete
  16. You are funny :) Always have fun laughing and nodding and shaking my head all at once! This is a stuning treat!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love love LOVE rice pudding. The last time I had it was at Christmas. I'm well overdue to make it again. This sounds perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  18. hey i've nominated you for the versatile blogger award http://mychocolethandbag.wordpress.com/2012/04/06/ive-been-nominated-for-the-versatile-blogger-award

    ReplyDelete

Anything yummy to say? I love hearing from you! Every time you leave me a comment, I do a happy dance in my kitchen, unless you've got something nasty to say. So, please be nice if you want to see a Beetle dance in her kitchen. :)

Beetle's Most Popular