Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Southern comfort: Shrimp and Grits

Last year was a good vacation year for me. I traveled quite a bit. The cities that found a special place in my heart were New Orleans and Savannah. I LOVED both places. The food - out of this world since it is the kind of comfort food I can live on. The sights - just plain beautiful with lots of French and Victorian architecture. The shopping - pretty, quaint little knick-knacks. The company - the husband. I couldn't have asked for better vacations.

At both cities, we indulged in a lot of southern staples, including Shrimp and Grits. Well, the husband did since I was busy stuffing my face with other yummy foods like Jambalaya, fried Chicken, Beignets and much more!

I remember watching this Food Network Throwdown with Bobby Flay and a native of one of the cities in Louisiana, if I'm not mistaken - a Throwdown of Shrimp and Grits! I remember scribbling down instructions of what they created and putting that in my list of to-make recipes. But I promptly forgot about it. After my trip to New Orleans (and Savannah, most recently), I knew I had to dig it up and quickly make it!

Here's what I managed to gather from the show though I don't remember whose recipe I was following and whether this is accurate. It tasted yummy, nonetheless! I must say, though, this dish is best eaten fresh and hot off the stove! Bon Appetit!



Shrimp and grits

Ingredients and instructions:

For the grits

  • 1 cup grits
  • 2 cups water
  • 2 chicken bouillon cubes
  • 2 tablespoons butter
  • 2 tablespoons cream
  • 1/2 cup of your favorite cheese

For the Shrimp

  • 1 tablespoon butter
  • 1/2 pound shrimp, peeled and deveined
  • 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon powdered pepper
  • 1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning
  • 2 tablespoons finely chopped garlic
  • 2 scallion sprigs, chopped

For the sauce

  • 2 tablespoons butter
  • 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
  • 1 1/2 cups low sodium chicken broth
  • 2 teaspoons worcestershire sauce
  • 1 teaspoon hot sauce


Bring the water to a boil. Add the bouillon cubes and stir to dissolve. Add the grits and let it cook according to manufacturer's directions. Once it's cooked, add the butter and stir. Add the cream and cheese, stir till the cheese is melted. Remove from flame and keep aside.

In a bowl, mix the shrimp, salt, powdered pepper, cayenne pepper and italian seasoning. In a frying pan, melt the butter on medium high heat. Saute the garlic in the butter till it starts to brown. Add the shrimp and let it cook. Add the chopped scallions, stir for a minute. Turn off the flame.

In another pan on medium heat, add the butter and once it's melted, add the flour. Stir constantly for a minute till the raw smell of the flour goes. Reduce the heat to the lowest setting. Add the chicken broth slowly and stir till the flour mixture is completely incorporated. Add the worcestershire and hot sauce. Increase the heat to medium and continue to stir till the sauce thickens.

You can add the shrimp to the sauce before serving over the grits or you could assemble them individually.


13 comments:

  1. This looks delicious. Funny that it is southern yet I never see it around here in restaurants. Really do not understand why...I would surely order it if it was on the menu. Tasty post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks so perfect!I ate this at a restaurant in East Florida.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks really yummy. I love Southern food, when I get my hands on cayenne pepper I add to whatever I can. I have eaten gumbo once and it was really good. For this recipe, since I'm on the other side of the world, can I use rava instead of grits?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think rava would go perfectly as a substitute since the texture is very similar. Try it and let me know how it turns out! :)

      Delete
  4. Will this taste the same if I make it with tofu? Actually wait, I could use seasoned bread crumbs instead of shrimp too right?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd say the tofu would be a good idea, if you could find a nice fried tofu recipe. You could also substitute any vegetable for the shrimp...how about Okra (bhindi) or even Cauliflower for that matter? :) Grits go with anything!

      Delete
  5. I normally have shrimp with noodles or for appetizer. Never accompanied with anything else. Its cornmeal right. or grits are coarser than that?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Balvinder, sorry for not replying earlier, Blogger was acting up and I was missing a few of my comments and I lost track of yours. But, yes, this is cornmeal, the coarse variety. Hope this helps!

      Delete
  6. Don't enjoy grits as much but i make something similar with polenta. Love how comfort it looks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, I'm sure polenta works beautifully as well! =)

      Delete
  7. This looks simply awesome! I love grits! Have yet to come across it in the UK though! Following you on Google! See you again soon! Lin xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for your lovely comment and also for following! Great to meet you! :D

      Delete
  8. Tried this recipe and I loved it. The shrimp was so succulent and yet my grits came out a little lumpy I think I should put them in cold water first. Thanks so much for putting it up!

    ReplyDelete

Anything yummy to say? I love hearing from you! Every time you leave me a comment, I do a happy dance in my kitchen, unless you've got something nasty to say. So, please be nice if you want to see a Beetle dance in her kitchen. :)

Beetle's Most Popular