Saturday, November 19, 2011

Honey Sesame Tofu


Tofu is an ingredient I came to love during my stay in Singapore. My favorite preparations of Tofu were a deep fried dish that accompanied our steamboat meal and a variation called Tao Huay, which is a silken custard in syrup. Now, Tao Huay was my absolute favorite dessert there and I could eat it day in and day out. The fact that a little food shop in the opposite block sold this sweet, heavenly goodness, made me go nuts over this nearly everyday!

So, when I walked past the Tofu aisle in a Korean supermarket here, I grabbed it hoping to try my hand at a Tofu dish. I haven't ventured into Tao Huay yet but, I settled for mixing up a version of Honey Sesame Tofu for starters. This recipe is an inspiration from a lot of places I was looking at and also my new habit of just throwing things together as the spirit leads in the kitchen. So, hope you enjoy...Bon Appetit!


Ingredients:

For the sauce -
  • 4 teaspoons Soy sauce
  • 2 tablespoons honey
  • ¾ teaspoon ginger-garlic paste
  • ½ teaspoon dried onion
  • Pinch of garlic powder
  • 2 teaspoons finely cut coriander leaves
  • 1/2 teaspoon Sesame oil


For the slices -
  • 1 carton (12 oz or 350 gms) firm silken tofu, well-dried 
  • Cornflour to dredge


Directions:

Mix all the ingredients for the sauce and keep aside.

Before you start working with the tofu, make sure you dry it out completely since that is critical to the cornflour sticking to it properly while frying, to give it a nice crispy crust. After you've got it nice and dry, cut the tofu into ¾ inch slices.

Toast 1 tablespoon of sesame seeds in a flat pan on medium flame till lightly browned. Set aside.

In the same pan, heat 2-3 tablespoons of olive oil and swirl it around to coat the bottom of the pan.  Dredge the tofu slices in cornflour and place in pan. Fry for 5 minutes, till the lower side is browned. Flip over and fry another few minutes till the other side is brown as well.

Once the sides are well-browned, add the sauce and let it cook for a few minutes. Turn the tofu slices over gently to coat all slices with the sauce.

Top with the toasted sesame seeds and serve.

4 comments:

  1. wow..sounds scrumptiously tasty..
    first time here..love your space..
    awesome recipes with interesting presentation..
    Am yur happy follower now..;)
    do stop by mine sometime..
    Tasty Appetite

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jay, thanks for stopping by with your lovely words! I'll definitely be coming over to your blog soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks delicious! I've had a hard time finding good recipes for tofu, mine usually always ends up a little watery. I would love to try this one though!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you, Rhyann! This is a really easy no-fuss recipe so hope it turns out well for you!

    ReplyDelete

Anything yummy to say? I love hearing from you! Every time you leave me a comment, I do a happy dance in my kitchen, unless you've got something nasty to say. So, please be nice if you want to see a Beetle dance in her kitchen. :)

Beetle's Most Popular