Saturday, November 12, 2011

Cinnamon Apple Buns


Lately, I've noticed that I buy fruits, vegetables or meat that I have no idea what to do with but, get them anyway to try something different. Case in point, 3 granny smith apples that were sitting in my fruit basket wondering when I'm going to use them. The first thing I thought of was Apple Pie. But, I wanted to do something different since I've already made apple pie/crumble before. And that's where inspiration struck - how about I just re-purpose the basic elements of apple pie (crust and filling) in a different manner, at least to me. I thought of rolling the crust with stewed apples, just like you would with cinnamon buns. I know this is not a novel idea, but this is how I went about it. I got the bun dough recipe from Food Network and made the filling on my own. Bon Appétit!

Cinnamon Apple Buns

Ingredients:
For the dough - 
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 1/4-ounce packet active dry yeast
- 1/4 cup plus 1/4 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted, plus more for the bowl
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 3/4 cups all-purpose flour, plus more if needed
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg


For the apple filling -
- 3 granny smith or cooking apples
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon powder

For the glaze -
- 1 cup powdered/confectioners' sugar
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon powder


Directions:

Make the dough (adapted from Food Network's almost famous cinnamon buns): Warm the milk in a medium saucepan over low heat until it reaches about 100 (since I don't have a food thermometer, I just heated it up till it was medium warm though I could've made it a little more hot)
. Remove from the heat and sprinkle in the yeast and 1/4 teaspoon sugar (don't stir). Set aside until foamy, 5 minutes. Whisk in the melted butter, egg yolk and vanilla.

Whisk the flour, the remaining 1/4 cup sugar, the salt and nutmeg in the bowl of a stand mixer. Make a well in the center and pour in the yeast mixture. Mix on low speed with the dough hook until thick and slightly sticky. Knead on medium speed until the dough gathers around the hook, 6 minutes. (Add up to 2 more tablespoons flour if necessary.)

Remove the dough and shape into a ball. Butter the mixer bowl and return the dough to the bowl, turning to coat with butter. Cover with plastic wrap and let rise until doubled, 1 hour 15 minutes.

Roll out the dough in a rectangle (horizontal) which is about a 1/4-inch thick. Spread your filling, leaving an inch on the long side away from you. Brush that one inch strip with water. Start rolling from the long side close to you, outwards, till you get to the end brushed with water. Seal the water-brushed end to the roll. Cut in 1-inch slices. 

Butter a 9-by-13-inch baking pan; place the buns cut-side down in the pan, leaving space between each. Cover with plastic wrap and let rise until doubled, 40 minutes (Yes, it rises again! and also during baking). Preheat the oven to 325degF.

Bake the buns until golden brown, about 35 minutes. Cool in the pan 15 minutes or longer so the filling stays intact. 

Make the filling (best time is when the dough is rising): Peel apples, core and chop into 1/2-inch thin pieces. Melt butter in a pan on medium heat. Add the apples and brown sugar. Let it cook till apples start getting tender, about 5-7 minutes. Turn off the heat and stir in the cinnamon and nutmeg powder. Let it cool.

Make the glaze: Mix all the ingredients together till you get a consistency that allows you to drizzle. You can add more sugar to thicken or milk to loosen depending on the consistency you like. Drizzle or spread on the buns and enjoy!




10 comments:

  1. Wow..ritz..you've become a real professional!!Looks awesome..have to try this out!:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, babyma! :D You should post some yummy recipes too since you're all such amazing cooks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would much rather have the apples instead of the raisins that people usually put in these! These would make for a great breakfast on Saturday morning, for I do love pastries like this. That first picture looks so stunning, it really does tempt me. Great post. Have a wonderful day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tina - That's exactly what I thought too, since I dislike raisins in food! :)

    Gg - Make some, super easy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. i love cinnabon - the one you can find at the mall, never thought of cinnabon apple buns. looks gorgeous. also your photos are really pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi - great looking site! I also wanted to say (since I know more about photography than cooking), your photos are very well-taken! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks, Zip! Means a lot coming from you...I love your photography! :)

    ReplyDelete

Anything yummy to say? I love hearing from you! Every time you leave me a comment, I do a happy dance in my kitchen, unless you've got something nasty to say. So, please be nice if you want to see a Beetle dance in her kitchen. :)

Beetle's Most Popular